- Existing plants are commercially successful, helping local authorities meet the EU Landfill Directive.
- Renewables Obligation Certificates (ROCs) are issued for the biomass fraction of the waste when the plant produces electricity, enhancing income streams.
- Energy recovered from the biomass content is not subject to the Climate Change Levy (CCL).
- Energy recovered from the biodegradable fraction of waste is exempt from CO2 emissions under the EU Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS).
- Low operating and maintenance costs.